It's no lie that we love our beauty products. We love using them and we also love having
them sit on our vanities looking fabulous like a decor piece. The love is especially true when we find a product that is limited edition, hard-to-find or just a piece you feel you never want to throw away.
But of course, we must come to our senses and know when to toss some of our products out. It makes your heart sink to think about it, we know. We feel the same way. But in order to maintain healthy skin, hair, and nails, we must keep things sanitary. In addition, you will get only the best results and quality from your products when they are refreshed. Make room on your vanities and in your makeup drawers and start making room for new things, it's time for some SPRING CLEANING! Photo credit: Ekimura
- BB Creams - An unopened BB Cream can last anywhere up to 3 years. Once opened, it will remain fresh and usable for anywhere between 1-2 years. Of course, it may be shorter depending on how much you use it. Be sure to store your BB Cream in a cool and dry location away from extreme humidity and always be sure to cap it tightly if your BB cream requires it.
- Concealer - A majority of concealers, despite the form they come in should be around for only about a year. Concealers can dry up over time so be sure to also store in a cool area.
- Blush & Cheek Products - These can last awhile, up to about 2 years. Just make sure to always use a clean brush each and every time.
- Powders - Remember to cap and seal these properly for a long term usage life of 2 years.
- Lipsticks/ Lipgloss - These should last around 2 years. Since you reapply directly onto your lips each time, its smart to not let the bacteria build up over time.
- Lip Liners - We suggest up to 3 years as lip liners tend to be dryer types of makeup that don't build up much bacteria and maintain their color for long periods of time.
- Lip Balms - We typically use lip balms all year round since our lips can get dried and cracked in both Winter and Summer. This is why we suggest up to a year max on lip balms.
- Mascara - Refresh your mascara every 6 months at the max. It is important to do so because its liquid-like formula can 1, dry out quickly and 2, it can build up bacteria with every stroke.
- Eyeliner - Pencil liners can last years up to about 3 years. Liquid liners on the other hand should be switched out every 6 months or so for the same reason as mascaras.
- Eyeshadow (Liquid) - Switch these out every 6 months as well. Anything liquid should be switched around this time frame.
- Eyeshadow (Powder) - This form can last any where up to 3 years. Since the formula is already dried, its color and form can last.
- Eyeshadow (Cream) - We suggest anywhere up to 1 year as cream is typically a more moisturizing formula than powder and requires fingers for application.
- Shampoo & Conditioner - These products are probably the most used in the beauty department especially on a daily basis. Regardless, we suggest up to 3 months before a new set should be replaced.
- Acne, Anti Aging, Specialized Products - Otherwise directed, these items should be tossed at 1 year max. These typically have ingredients that target their specific functions and work best when they are at their newest stages.
- Facial Lotions - Up to 1 year. Your face has the most sensitive skin on your entire body so it is best to give your skin the best nourishment!
- Body Lotions - Up to 1.5 years. It's likely you have a giant bottle of body lotion somewhere, right? You don't have to rush through it. Just keep it in a dry and cool place for best results.
We hope this helps! Happy Spring Cleaning!